A leaflet from the National Rail Museum at Chanakyapuri, New Delhi
WELCOME TO THE NATIONAL RAIL MUSEUM
In the following text IR means Indian Railways
Did You Know ? that......
- The first train ran between Bombay to Thane on the l6th of April 1853.
- IR is the 2nd Largest Railway network in tke world.
- IR has about 62000 kms of Track.
- IR employs about 1.6 million people.
- IR carries about 10 million passengers & 1 million tonnes freight daily.
- IR runs about 11000 trains daily
- IR has 7092 railway stations.
- The longest journey on the IR is from Jammutawi to Kanhyakumari a distance of about 3751 kms covered by Himsagar express in about 66 hours.
- The longest railway platform is at Kharagpur & is 2732ft in length.
- NEHRU SETU on river Sone is the longest bridge & is 10044ft in length.
- The longest tunnel is between Monkey hill & Khandala & is 7000ft in length.
- Calcutta METRO is the Ist & only underground railway system in India.
- Computerised reservation system started at Delhi In 1986.
- IR's first electric train ran in 1925 from Bombay.
- Toilet on trains were introduced in 1891( Ist Class) & 1907( Lower classes).
- IR runs 9 pairs Rajdhani & 13 Shatabdi express trains.
- 42 Railway companies operated in the country before Independence.
- IR Is presently divided into 9 Zonal Railways.
- IR has around 7800 locomotives, 40000 coaches & 326000 wagons.
- FAIRY QUEEN (b -1855) the oldest preserved locomotive is kept at NRM.
- The manufacturer of steam locomotives came to a close In 1972.
- Diesel locomotives arc manufactured at DLW Varanasi.
- Electric Iocomotives are manufactured at CLW Chittaranjan.
- Coaches are manufactured at ICF/Madras, RCF/Kapurthala & BEML/Bangalore.
- IR has 4 gauges of Track - BG (5'6") MG (1 metre) NG (2).
- IR's fastest train is the Bhopal Shatabdi which runs at speeds upto 140 kmph.
- Ist AC, 2nd AC, 3rd AC, AC Chair Car IInd sleeper & IInd ordinary are the various classes of travel on the IR.
- IR's only Rack & Pinion system type of line is from Mettupalayam to Conoor on SR.
- The National Rail Museum at New Delhi was set up in 1977.
INDIAN RAILWAYS - facts compiled by the National Rail Museum, New Delhi.
THE ADVENT OF RAILWAYS INTERNATIONALLY
- 1825 - England
- 1828 - France
- 1830 - United States of America
- 1834 - Ireland
- 1835 - Germany, Belgium
- 1836 - Canada
- 1837 - Russia
- 1838 - Austria
- 1839 - Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Italy
- 1844 - Switzerland
- 1845 - Poland
- 1846 - Hungary,Yugoslavia
- 1847 - Denmark
- 1848 - Spain
- 1850 - Mexico
- 1851 - Chile
- 1853 - India
- l854 - Norway, Brazil, Egypt, Australia
- 1856 - Portugal, Sweden,Turkey
- 1857 - Argentina
- 1860 - South Africa
- 1861 - Pakistan, Bangladesh
- 1862 - Finland, Algeria
- 1863 - New Zealand
- l864 - Indonesia
- 1865 - Sri Lanka
- 1866 - Bulgaria
- 1869 - Roumania, Iraq
- 1872 - Japan
- l876 - Tunisia
- 1877 - Burma
- 1881 - China
- 1885 - Malaysia
- 1886 - Mozambique
- l891 - Taiwan
- 1893 - Thailand
- 1897 - Kenya,Uganda, Tanzania
- 1899 - South Korea
- 1900 - Sudan
- 1901 - Nigeria
- 1905 - Zambia
- 1911 - Zaire,Morocco
- 1917 - Iran